Prep 20 mins
Cook 50 mins
A Vegan version of the original! Moist, rich, and so yummy!
- 1⁄2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon vegan margarine
- 1⁄2 cup pecan halves
- 2 medium firm bananas, sliced
- 3 mashed ripe bananas
- 1 cup raw sugar
- 1 cup soymilk
- egg replacement equivalent to 2 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sea salt
- In a small saucepan, combine brown sugar, lemon juice and butter; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium; cook without stirring until sugar is dissolved. Pour 1/2 of the mixture into a cake pan. Cover evenly with nuts.
- Slices the two medium size banana and place in a bowl. Pour remaining mixture over the bananas and toss to coat. Arrange bananas in circular fashion in bottom of cake pan. Set aside.
- Combine wet ingredients in an medium sized bowl. Combine dry ingredients in a separate bowl. Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredient bowl. Stir to combine. Pour cake batter in cake pan over arranged bananas.
- Preheat oven to 350. Bake for 50 minuet or until tooth pick comes out clean form the center. Let cool in cake pan for 10 minuets. Loosen edges with knife and turn out onto serving plate. Enjoy!
This is a delicious cake and very moist. There are a few points that I kind of messed up on, they weren't mentioned in the recipe. First off - the size of the cake tin. I should have known my 8" was going to be too small, but that's the only round one I had. It definitely needs to be larger. Altho the cake is really moist and it cooked thru, it spilled over and was quite a mess. It was also hard to get out of the pan, I'm wondering if lining the bottom with parchment would have been a good idea. My cake wasn't as pretty as yours KMuchetti, but it is still very enjoyable. I made it with whole wheat flour, worked well - again, not as pretty, it's kind of like banana bread with a sweet topping. Wasn't sure how thin to cut the bananas for the topping, I think I sliced them too thin because they were hardly recognizable in the finished cake. This would be a great afternoon/tea time cake to serve, I'm sure I'll be making it again with these few changes.
Agree this is a delicious cake and the 1st reviewers pointers were very helpful. I used a 9 inch round pan and still had enough batter to fill another small loaf pan. I used a cooke sheet under it which still caught some drippings. I did use wax paper to line the pan and this helped remove it from the pan in one piece. It was a little heavy so one less banana may make it lighter. I used coconut oil for the vegan margarine, coconut milk instead of soy milk and applesauce instead of eggs. The topping and sliced firm banana thicker slices made this just melt in your mouth. Absolutely fabulous topping makes this cake!