Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
These moist muffins are surprisingly vegan. Adapted from Vegetarian Times from October 2007.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1⁄4 cup soymilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 ripe bananas, mashed
- 1 cup semisweet vegan chocolate chips
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line muffin pans with 18 paper baking cups. In a medium mixing bowl stir together flour, baking soda, and salt, set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl stir together brown sugar, oil, applesauce, soymilk, vanilla, and bananas. Mix in flour mixture just until blended (do not over mix!). Stir in chocolate chips and walnuts.
- Divide batter between baking cups. Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, 25 to 30 minutes. Cool muffins in pans for 10 minutes then transfer to cooling racks to cool completely.
Great recipe, very ymoist. I added cinnamon and sugar and an extra banana. Thank you for a great vegan recipe.
I used this recipe as the base for my muffins - I added 1/4 tsp of cinnamon, a shot of Sailor Jerry Spiced Rum (instead of vanilla extract), and vanilla soy milk. Oh, and I skipped the chocolate chips. The muffins were absolutely delicious! Thanks for posting!