Prep 0 mins
Cook 50 mins
Recipe by About.com
- 2 cups flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup oil
- 4 ripe bananas, mashed
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a 9-inch square baking pan.
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, baking soda and salt. In a separate large bowl, whisk together the sugar and oil, then add bananas. Add water and vanilla, stirring to combine.
- Add the flour mixture, stirring just until wet.
- Bake for 45 to 50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
This was very good, although I made some changes. I used whole wheat flour, agave instead of the sugar and omitted the water. I also used coconut oil and added some ground flax seeds and chocolate chips. It was fantastic! I've made it three times now and everyone loves it!
Really happy with how this turned out, followed the recipe exactly and it tasted absolutely delicious. It's yummy for breakfast with fruit as well as by itself. Other vegan cake recipes I've tried that use oil instead of butter seem to add it by the bucketload and never seem to cook right through but this recipe uses very little and comes out of the oven perfect. Yum!!
I am really impressed with how yummy this was, especially since I subbed Truvia for the sugar. It did turn out with a texture that was halfway between a cake and a muffin, but that didn't stop us from eating it as quick as we could. I doubled the recipe to make 2 layers for my sister's birthday cake, and I topped it with vegan peanut butter frosting (not as good as the cake, but still good), as well as honey and banana chips. She loved it!