1/2 Photos of Vegan Baked Ziti
I just kind of threw this together the other night and it turned out to be one of the best pasta dishes I've ever had. And its easy! (Also, to the chef who said soy mozzarella isn't vegan, buy the Follow Your Heart brand, it is. There are several vegan cheeses on the market, you just have to look for them.)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb ziti pasta
- 1 (14 ounce) package Gimmie Lean sausage flavor
- 2 (25 1/2 ounce) jars pasta sauce (Muir Glen Tomato Basil is excellent)
- 1 white onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup fresh basil, coarsely chopped
- 4 leaves fresh basil, torn
- 1/2 cup fresh oregano, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup soy mozzarella cheese, grated
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1Put a pot of water on to boil.
- 2Heat oil in a large pan over medium heat. Put the sausage in the pan and break down into small bite-sized pieces with the edge of a spoon. Sauté until brown.
- 3As the sausage is browning, salt the boiling water and add the ziti.
- 4Add the garlic and onions to the pan of sausage and cook together until onions are softened. By this time, the pasta should be done.
- 5Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- 6Drain the pasta, return to the pot, add the sausage and onion mixture, 1 1/2 jars of sauce, 1/2 of the grated cheese and the fresh basil and oregano. Toss well to combine and pour into a 9x13 inch baking dish. Even the mixture out in the pan, cover with the rest of the sauce, scatter the torn basil over the sauce and sprinkle the rest of the cheese on top.
- 7Cover the dish with foil and bake for 40 minutes, or until everything is bubbling and the cheese is melted. Remove and let cool for 5-10 minutes before serving.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Vegan Baked Ziti
Serving Size: 1 (282 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 495.4
- Calories from Fat 83
- Total Fat 9.3 g
- Saturated Fat 1.3 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 1164.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 87.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.4 g
- Sugars 23.6 g
- Protein 15.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
Gimmie Lean sausage flavor
soy mozzarella cheese