Recipe by Chelle (Vegan4Life)
This dish makes and excellent Appetizer, Snack or Main Dish. It's also a great introduction into the vegan world, if you want to convert kids or meat-eaters to a healthier lifestyle. They taste great with sauces & dips or by themselves. You need to make a lot though. When I make them, they only last for a few minutes. You might want to double or triple this batch.
- 3 (14 ounce) packages extra firm tofu
- 1⁄4 cup soy sauce
- 1 cup cold water
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 3 1⁄2 ounces panko breadcrumbs (1/2 a bag) or 3 1⁄2 ounces breadcrumbs
- 2 teaspoons garlic granules
- 1 tablespoon poultry seasoning
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Pre-heat oven to 450 degrees.
- Coat 1 cookie sheet with non-stick spray.
- Get a wide shallow microwavable bowl and put the soy sauce, cornstarch, vinegar & water in it and whisk it until it's smooth.
- Place it in the microwave for 2-3 minutes and then whisk it again. It should be a sauce like consistency, not too thick, not too thin.
- Now get another wide shallow bowl and put the panko crumbs, garlic granules, poultry seasoning & sea salt in it.
- Drain the packages of tofu and cut into strips the size and length of a finger. There should be 8 strips to a package of tofu.
- Use the Wet Hand-Dry Hand method of soaking the tofu strips into the wet mixture of soy sauce and corn starch with your wet hand, then placing them one or two at a time into the crumbs and coating them with your dry hand.
- Place the strips onto the cookie sheet and place them in the oven.
- Cook for approximately 10 to 15 minutes and then turn the oven heat off and let them sit in there to dry out and stiffen up to your likeness.
- Cut these strips in half if you'd like to make more of them. Serve and enjoy!