Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 25 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is a delicious baked pasta recipe that both my husband (who can eat cow's milk) and I (who can't) enjoy very much. As you make this, keep in mind that, while it's similar in appearance to mac and cheese, it's fairly different in taste and texture. I don't think there's any way to replicate the creamy mouthfeel and stretch of dairy cheese. However, this is the closest-to-dairy homemade non-dairy mac and cheese we've come across, and it's also very yummy in its own right. This recipe comes from Joanne Stepaniak's The Ultimate Uncheese Cookbook, a wonderful source for dairy-free recipes.
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 16 ounces macaroni
- 2 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup roasted red peppers or 1⁄2 cup pimiento
- 1⁄2 cup raw cashews or 1⁄3 cup smooth cashew butter
- 1⁄3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄3 cup nutritional yeast flakes
- 1⁄4 cup white wine
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Cook the macaroni according to the package's instructions and drain well.
- Heat the oil and saute the onions until they're soft and starting to brown.
- When the onions are cooked, mix them thoroughly with the drained macaroni.
- Put the water, red peppers or pimientos, cashews or cashew butter, lemon juice, nutritional yeast flakes, wine, onion powder, garlic powder, and salt into a blender and blend until totally smooth. Don't be afraid to do this for several minutes.
- Stir the blended mixture in with the onions and macaroni.
- Pour the combined onions, macaroni, and blended mixture into a greased 3-quart casserole dish.
- Bake for 25 to 35 minutes, uncovered. Serve immediately.