Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Gooooood, New Farm Recipe found on Post Punk Kitchen forum.
- 3 1⁄2 cups elbow macaroni, dry
- 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 3 1⁄2 cups boiling water
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 pinch turmeric
- 1⁄4 cup oil
- 1 cup nutritional yeast flakes
- Preheat oven to 350º F.
- Cook pasta according to directions.
- Meanwhile, melt margarine over low heat in a medium to large saucepan.
- Beat in flour with a wire whisk and continue to beat over a medium flame until the mixture (called roux) is smooth and bubbly.
- Whip in boiling water, salt, soy sauce, garlic powder, and turmeric, beating well to dissolve the roux.
- The sauce should cook until it thickens and bubbles.
- Next, whip in oil and nutritional yeast flakes.
- Mix some of the sauce with the noodles and put in casserole dish.
- Pour a generous amount of sauce on top.
- Sprinkle w/ paprika and bake for 15 minutes.
- Put under the broiler for a few minutes until "cheese" sauce gets stretchy and crisp.