Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
These one-bite appetizers are easy to make, using only a few ingredients and taste amazing. The recipe calls for oyster mushrooms but I imagine you could use shitake. This is succulent, smoky, rich and salty—and perfect to make for a small dinner gathering or as a starter for two. From Olives for Dinner.
For the sauce
- 1 teaspoon vegan margarine (Earth Balance recommended)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons coconut cream (skim it off the top part of the can)
- 4 tablespoons homemade vegetable stock (or Imagine brand No Chicken broth)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 king oyster mushroom stems, sliced and soaked in water for 20 minutes
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 6 -8 slices tempeh bacon
- liquid smoke
- fresh cracked pepper
- To make the sauce, melt the vegan butter in a large saute pan over medium-low heat. Add in the garlic and allow to soften for about 30 seconds. Add in the coconut cream and saute for about a minute. Turn the heat up to medium and add in the broth. Allow to sizzle for a minute or two, then whisk in the paprika. Remove from the heat and transfer the sauce to another bowl.
- Return the pan to the stove and allow it to heat for about a minute over medium heat. Add in a little olive oil or vegan butter, then very carefully place the mushrooms into the pan. (Since they contain water, they will sputter once they hit the heat.) Place a lid over the top and allow the mushrooms to cook for about 3-4 minutes on each side, or until they are slightly brown on top. Remove from the heat and transfer to another plate to cool.
- In the same saute pan, add a little more oil if the pan is dry, then add in the tempeh strips. Allow to cook on each side for 4-5 minutes, checking them occasionally to ensure they do not burn. Once they are almost done, add a few dashes of liquid smoke, then allow it to sizzle, then remove from the heat.
- To assemble them, wrap a piece of tempeh around the scallop so both end slightly overlap each other. Cut off any excess, then spear with a toothpick. Spoon an little of the sauce over the top and serve immediately.