Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
Traditional pesto is made with basil, but you can use all kinds of different greens. Chef Tal Ronnen uses arugula to give a peppery kick. If you can't find arugula, use spinach. From The Conscious Cook cookbook.
- 1⁄4 cup pine nuts
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups coarsely chopped arugula, stems included
- 1⁄4 cup coarsely chopped fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast flakes
- sea salt
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 pinch ground cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Place all ingredients except the oil in a food processor and pulse several times.
- Continue to blend as you slowly pour in the oil in a thin stream.
- Use in sandwiches, pasta, rice, salad dressings, etc.