Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
This recipe is the best Vegan Carrot Cake recipe I've ever tasted. Its delicious and unique in that you pre-cook a few of the ingredients which I think accounts for the moistness of this cake. I've changed a few things to suit my own tastes. This cake is quite deep and very heavy. I like to frost it with a Vegan Cream Cheese Icing. The original recipe was found on recipe.com
- 1 1⁄2 cups raisins
- 2 cups carrots (grated)
- 2 cups water (filtered)
- 2 egg substitute (I used ener-G)
- 1 1⁄4 cups maple syrup
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons allspice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 3 cups spelt flour or 3 cups unbleached flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3⁄4 cup walnuts (chopped)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Grease a 9-inch spring form pan with spray oil.
- In a large sauce pan, simmer the raisins and grated carrots in the water over medium heat for 7 to 10 minutes.
- Remove and put in a large bowl.
- Add the oil, apple sauce, egg replacers, syrup, cinnamon, allspice, cloves, and salt. Stir the mixture well.
- In a separate bowl mix the flour, baking soda and walnuts together. Stir this dry mixture into the carrot raisin mixture.
- Don't over mix this.
- Pour into your spring form pan (you can use a 9-inch square pan if you wish) and bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour. Use a wooden kabob stick to test this cake. A toothpick is not long enough.
- Once this is done cool on a metal rack and turn onto a plate.
This carrot cake was quite tasty. Because we are not vegans or vegetarians, we used eggs. Also used regular white flour and olive oil, and baked it in a Bundt cake pan, because it looked so good in the picture. Like you said, the cake was heavy but everyone liked it. Thanks Chef Joey Z.