I found the original recipe in The Garden of Vegan cookbook, but I've had to make quite a few modifications to suit my temper-mental oven, our high altitude, and my tastes. My daughter loves them and requests them weekly. We think it's the perfect not-too-sweet breakfast muffin. They are quite moist, and are best eaten within a day of making.
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1⁄2 cup ground flax seeds
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 apple, finely chopped (I usually use Gala, and leave the skin on)
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 (111 g) unsweetened applesauce
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- In a small bowl stir together the first portion of cinnamon and sugar; set aside.
- Mix the dry ingredients together in a large bowl. Make a well in the centre and dump in the wet ingredients and chopped apples. Stir until just mixed.
- Spoon into lightly oiled muffin pan, and sprinkle with the reserved cinnamon sugar.
- Bake for about 15 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean.