1/2 Photos of Vegan Apple Crisp (No Margarine)
White Rose Child's Note:
At Christmas, my mom ALWAYS baked an apple crisp in her deep glass pie dish, and we unashamedly scarfed it down. The apples made it healthy, sure, but what about all the hard fat? When we went vegan and couldn't buy a dairy-free margarine, that was a dilemma. Thankfully, we don't have to resort to Crisco. We found and modified this recipe on Vegweb, and now our holiday apple crisp is every bit as sinfully sweet, appley and crispy as it ever was.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 5 cups apples, thinly sliced, peeled if desired
- 3/4 cup brown sugar (we use a vegan one, not processed through bone char)
- 3/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 3/4 cup old fashioned oats
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon (generous)
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3 -4 tablespoons safflower oil
- 2 tablespoons soymilk (or 2 tablespoons other non-dairy milk)
- 1First of all, feel free to use any type or combination of apples. If you are using a very firm variety- granny smith for instance- it is a good idea to cook them for a couple of minutes, with as little water water as possible, just to warm and slightly soften them. Otherwise they will stay rather firm instead of half-melting as they bake.
- 2Preheat oven to 350.
- 3Mix the other ingredients, with a spoon, then with fingers, until the texture is crumbly. If too dry, add more oil or soymilk; if too wet, add more flour.
- 4Transfer the apples to a medium casserole or pie dish. Sprinkle the dry mixture over them and even it out a bit with a spoon.
- 5Bake for 1/2 hour, checking occasionally, till the "crisp" is golden and crispy! Allow to cool a little before devouring with a scoop of vanilla ice cream -- enjoy!
Browse Our Top Cobblers and Crisps Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Cobblers and Crisps Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Vegan Apple Crisp (No Margarine)
Serving Size: 1 (169 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 312.9
- Calories from Fat 73
- Total Fat 8.1 g
- Saturated Fat 0.7 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 12.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 59.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.4 g
- Sugars 37.9 g
- Protein 3.8 g