Recipe by Healthy Debbie
This recipe comes from the book Vegan Planet by Robin Robertson, published 2003, The Harvard Common Press, page 547. This is quick and easy. I used bread slices cut from Ecce Panis country white bread. It's eggless and dairy-free. Try it!
Top Review by Sydney Mike
Although I'm not into using soy/tofu big time, I wanted to make this to see how it would work out 'cause I have a son & DIL who are vegetarian! I was happy with the flavor, but did add a bit of warmed applesauce to the topping! [Tagged, made & reviewed for one of my adoptees in the current Pick-A-Chef]
- 1 cup soymilk (or 1 cup other diary-free milk)
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1⁄4 cup drained soft silken tofu
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar or 2 tablespoons Splenda sugar substitute
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 8 slices bread
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 large apple, peeled, cored, and thinkly sliced
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine the soy milk, applesauce, tofu, 1 tablespoon of the brown sugar, and the connamon ina food processor or blender and process until smooth.
- Pour into a large, shallow bowl and dip in the bread, coating both sides evenly with the batter.
- Preheat the oven to 275 degreesF. Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the prepared bread in batches and cook until just browned on both sides, 4 to 5 minutes total. Keep the cooked French toast warm in the oven whileyou prepare the remaining slices.
- Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon corn oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the apple slices, lemon juice, and remaining 1 tablespoon brown sugar and cook, stirring, until the apples are tender, about 5 minutes. Spoon the topping over the French toast and serve hot.