1/6 Photos of Vegan Almond Biscotti
1 hr 15 mins
I loved biscotti before I became vegan, so I was thrilled when I found this version in "Nonna's Italian Kitchen", a vegan Italian cookbook.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups unbleached cane sugar
- 3/4 cup smooth unsweetened applesauce
- 1 -3 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 1/2 cups almonds, toasted and chopped
- 1Preheat oven the 325°F.
- 2Lightly oil two cookie sheets.
- 3Use double layer shiny ones, if you have them.
- 4If yours are very black, line them with foil.
- 5In a large bowl, whisk together the flours, baking powder, and salt.
- 6In a medium bowl, whisk together the sugar, applesauce, oil (1 TBS for a hard biscotti, 2-3 TBS for a softer biscuit), and extracts.
- 7Stir the sugar mixture into the flour mixture, add the nuts; finish mixing with your hands.
- 8With floured hands, shape the dough into two 3-inch wide "logs" about 3/4 inch thick, with the ends squared off.
- 9Place these on the cookie sheets.
- 10Bake the logs for about 25 minutes.
- 11Remove the pans and reduce the oven heat to 300°F.
- 12Cool the logs on a rack for 15 minutes.
- 13Cut the logs carefully with a sharp knife straight across into 1/2 inch wide slices.
- 14Place the slices cut side down on the cookie sheets (you can remove the foil, if using).
- 15Bake 5-10 minutes, or until golden on the bottom.
- 16Turn the slices over and cook 5-10 minutes more, or until golden on bottom.
- 17Cool on racks, then store airtight for up to two weeks.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Vegan Almond Biscotti
Serving Size: 1 (1097 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 97.8
- Calories from Fat 28
- Total Fat 3.2 g
- Saturated Fat 0.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 74.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 16.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
- Sugars 8.2 g
- Protein 2.1 g