Recipe by Maggie the Vegan Chef
A hearty, delicious African stew with peanuts, coconut milk, sweet potatoes and lightly spicy, earthy flavor. Perfect for a cold winter's night. 100% vegan - dairy, meat and egg free. Low sodium. Great for kids.
Top Review by averybird
Wow, a sauce with peanut butter and coconut milk. What's not to like? My husband really was raving about this recipe. I plan to add cauliflower and peas next time too. Loved it, thank you.
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 2 medium onions
- 2 carrots
- 4 celery ribs
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 2 lbs large sweet potatoes (about 2 large ones)
- 2 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 (28 ounce) can whole tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1⁄2 cup chunky peanut butter
- 3 tablespoons peanuts, roasted
- 1⁄2 cup light coconut milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare in advance your sweet potatoes by peeling them and chopping them into chunks. Dice your carrots, celery and onion. Drain and quarter your tomatoes from the can.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of peanut oil in a large Dutch oven or stockpot over medium-high heat. Add curry powder and cook, stirring constantly for 1 minute. Add onions, carrots and celery and cook, stirring occasionally, for 2 minutes. Add garlic and cook for 1 more minute. Stir in sweet potatoes, broth and tomatoes, and bring soup to a boil. Simmer, covered, 20 to 30 minutes.
- Season with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, peanuts, cayenne, peanut butter, and coconut milk to the soup, stirring to combine. Bring mixture to a simmer and cook for 20 minutes.
- Serve hot; makes 6 very hearty servings.