Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is an easy vegetarian lasagna recipe adapted from Yves Veggie. It can be made Vegan by substituting the mozzarella cheese with soy cheese. I use an Italian herb firm tofu but any plain firm tofu would work just as well.
- 340 g vegetarian ground beef (mock ground beef)
- 3 cups mozzarella cheese (if making Vegan) or 3 cups soy mozzarella cheese (if making Vegan)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced fine
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 8 ounces firm tofu
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1⁄2 cup frozen chopped spinach (cook according to package)
- 9 pieces no-boil lasagna noodles (the kind you do not need to precook)
- 5 cups pasta sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Spray a 9x13 lasagna pan lightly with oil
- Sauté the onions and garlic in oil over medium heat until soft. Set aside to cool.
- In a bowl mix tofu with salt, pepper, oregano, flour, cooked spinach and sautéed onions.
- In another bowl, crumble the vegetarian ground round and mix with 3 cups of tomato sauce.
- Layer the lasagna pan:.
- Spread 1/2 cup of the reserved tomato sauce on the bottom of the pan and set 3 lasagna noodles in the sauce (leave space between them – they expand while cooking).
- Cover noodles with half of vegetarian ground round mixture followed by 1 cup of shredded cheese.
- Arrange 3 noodles on top followed by the spinach mixture.
- Spread remaining vegetarian ground round mixture over followed by 1 cup of shredded cheese.
- Place the last 3 lasagna noodles on top and cover with the rest of the tomato sauce.
- Top lasagna with remaining cheese & bake for 45 minutes, or until noodles are tender.