Recipe by Nita Holleman
YUMMY! This one is DEELICIOUS and a KEEPER! My own way of doing a casserole using VEG-ALL VEGETABLES (or, yo could use other canned mixed vegetables.) This is very good. Good for "covered dish" or church dinners. The New Perry Hotel in Perry GA used to serve a similar dish when it was owned by the original owners.
- 1⁄2 medium sweet onion, chopped (Vidalia if available)
- 2 celery ribs, scraped,strings removed,chopped
- 2 -3 cans veg-all vegetables, drained well
- 1 can campbell cream of mushroom soup
- 1⁄2 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped pimiento, drained well
- 1 can water chestnut, drained and chopped (I don't add these) (optional)
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄2 teaspoon herbes de provence (or Mixture of Basil, Rosemary, Parsley to taste) (optional)
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon onion powder (not onion salt)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon celery salt
- 3 -5 dashes celery seeds (optional)
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon table salt
- 1⁄8-1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 package cheese Ritz crackers or 1 package Ritz cracker
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- paprika, for sprinkling on top (optional)
- 1⁄2-2⁄3 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese, to spinkle over this if using plain ritz crackers (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Prepare and combine the onion and celery and put in a small bowl, add water, cover with waxed paper.
- Microwave on high 3 minutes or saute together in a little water for 3 or 4 minutes.
- Combine with rest of ingredients except crackers and butter.
- Pour into a baking dish or if for a covered dish dinner use a disposable 12 3/4" X 8 3/4" X 1 11/16" pan.
- [Reservethe lid that comes with it and put it on top loosely after baking and before traveling with the casserole.
- ]Crumble crackers while still in the sleeve.
- Cover top of casserole with crackers.
- Drizzle melted butter on top and sprinkle with paprika if desired.
- (May use optional cheese.) Bake at 350 degrees for 30-45 minutes.
- Note: This can be baked without the topping.
- Cooled, topping added and reheated when ready to serve and eat.