Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
From a recipe on the back of a playing card deck that I've had for years (copyright 1969).
- flour, for dusting veal
- 2 1⁄2 lbs veal scallops, cut very thin
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄2 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 cup port wine
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon tarragon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sweet basil
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons cognac
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Lightly flour veal.
- In a heavy skillet, brown scallops in olive oil. Salt and pepper lightly before turning. Turn and brown other side and season again. Remove to a warm oven.
- Add onion slices to pan and cook until soft and golden. Remove and place on veal. Add port to the pan and stir to remove all prticles stuck to sides and bottom.
- Add 1/2 cup of the cream and cook until slightly thickened. Add tarragon and basil.
- In a separate bowl beat egg yolks with remaining 1/2 cup of cream. Add a little of the hot cream from the skillet to this, stir, and then return to the skillet.
- Add cognac and lemon juice. Taste for seasonings; add veal and onions and heat tntil mixture bubbles and veal is heated through.