Recipe by Irmgard
This stew is Greek cooking at its finest. Tender veal and eggplant cooked in a flavourful tomato sauce, flavoured with a variety of spices, some of which I have never encountered in Greek cuisine. Enjoy!
Top Review by Dr. Jenny
DH and I made this recipe last night for dinner. I had both stewing veal and an eggplant that needed using, so this recipe fit the bill. I easily halved it to suit 1 lb of veal. I thought the recipe was great, especially smothered in freshly grated parmesan cheese. DH said that he didn't feel that the spices added during cooking came through enough in the finished product, though I thought it was fine. All in all, this is a very nice recipe and all of the flavor combinations really worked. Thanks!
- 1 large eggplant
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil, plus
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 lbs stewing veal, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1⁄4 cup tomato paste
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 3⁄4 cups dry red wine
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- 1 cup kalamata olive, pitted and quartered
- 2 tablespoons flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut the eggplant into 1" pieces, sprinkle with salt, and let stand for 30 minutes.
- Rinse the eggplant under cold water, drain, and pat dry with a paper towel.
- Heat the oil in a large pan and add the eggplant.
- Cook until lightly browned, then remove the eggplant from the pan.
- Heat the extra oil in the same pan.
- Add the veal, onions and garlic and cook until browned all over. You may have to do this in two batches, depending on the size of your pan.
- Add the spices, garlic and bay leaves and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Add the undrained diced tomatoes, tomato paste, water and wine.
- Stir until combined and simmer, covered, over low heat for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- Add the eggplant and simmer, covered, 20 minutes or until the eggplant and veal are tender.
- Add the lemon juice, olives, parsley and sugar with the salt and pepper to taste.
- Simmer until heated through.