Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
This recipe is from Vincent Mandola, owner of Vincent's Restaurant in Houston. It was posted in the Houston Chronicle. Our local grocery store was out of veal scaloppine so I tried this recipe with the tenderized cubed steaks and it turned out wonderful. If you use the cubed steaks be sure to pound them flat with a meat mallet and cut into serving size pieces. This is one of my family's favorite dishes and the sauce that is server over them is to die for!!!!
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese (such as Grano or DIGIORNO)
- 12 slices veal scallopini (thin slices) or 4 small cube steaks, if using in place of veal. (veal scallops or cubed steak pounded flat with meat mallet and seasoned with salt and pepper)
- 8 tablespoons olive oil (more if needed)
- lemon butter sauce
- 4 ounces dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 8 ounces cold unsalted butter
- 1 (14 ounce) cansmall artichoke hearts, drained and cut in half
- Mix eggs and milk in a bowl. Mix cheese and 1 cup of flour in a flat pan. Place remaining flour in another small, flat pan. Dust each piece of meat first in plain flour, then in milk-egg wash, then in cheese mixture. Coat each piece evenly on both sides (press meat firmly into cheese mixture to absorb moisture). Heat oil in skillet and add meat without overlapping pieces. Brown evenly. Place on platter and keep in warm oven until ready to serve.
- Lemon Butter Sauce.
- Combine wine and lemon juice in small skillet. Cook over medium to low heat until liquid is reduced by half. Whisk in butter, a little at a time, until sauce thickens to medium consistency. Add artichoke hearts.
- Serve meat with sauce drizzles over it.