1/1 Photo of Veal Stew Forestière
2 hrs 50 mins
2 hrs 30 mins
Forestière means "of the forest," and refers to dishes made with mushrooms, cream, and often ham. This is a rich, hearty veal stew in that tradition. If you wanted to cut down your own veal stew from a hunk of shoulder, that wouldn't be a bad thing, either. Use cubes of 1 to 1 1/2". Adapted from a recipe by Kerry Saretsky at Serious Eats. http://bit.ly/9LuDb5
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (not extra-virgin)
- 1 1/2 lbs veal stew meat
- 4 shallots, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, diced
- 1 lb wild mushroom, sliced (a mixture of shiitake, oyster and cremini is ideal)
- 1/2 cup dry sherry
- 2 cups beef stock
- 6 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 slices prosciutto (jambon de bayonne) or 2 slices french ham (jambon de bayonne)
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1Preheat oven to 450°F.
- 2In a Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat. Brown veal cubes on all sides and set aside on a plate (they will not be cooked through).
- 3Add a bit more oil if needed, and reduce heat to medium-low. Add shallots and garlic and sweat gently 1 minute until shallots are translucent and garlic is fragrant.
- 4Add mushrooms and raise heat to medium. Cook until mushrooms are soft and beginning to brown, 6-8 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- 5Move the pan away from the open flame (if using an electric range, you can skip this step), add the sherry, then return the pot to the stove. Turn up heat until sherry boils vigorously. Scrape the brown bits (fond) from the bottom of the pan as the sherry reduces.
- 6Return the veal to the pot, along with any accumulated juices. Add beef stock and thyme. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer 2 hours.
- 7Spray a baking sheet with nonstick spray. Place the slices of prosciutto or jambon on the sheet and bake in preheated oven until crispy, about 10 minutes. Cool slightly then break slices into shards.
- 8Mash together butter and flour to form a beurre manie. Drop small bits of this mixture onto the surface of the stew, then stir in well. Let simmer until thickened, 3-5 minutes. Off heat, add cream and stir. Remove the stems of the thyme sprigs and discard.
- 9Serve with buttered noodles or mashed potatoes. Garnish each dish with the ham crumbs.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Veal Stew Forestière
Serving Size: 1 (482 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 565.9
- Calories from Fat 246
- Total Fat 27.3 g
- Saturated Fat 11.1 g
- Cholesterol 167.4 mg
- Sodium 552.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 14.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
- Sugars 3.0 g
- Protein 39.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: