2 hrs 30 mins
This is very good served over noodles. Recipe source: Bon Appetit (January 1986)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 lbs veal shoulder, cut into cubes
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/3 cup olive oil or 1/3 cup other vegetable oil
- 1 stalk celery, cut into 3 inch pieces
- 1 parsley sprig
- 1 sprig thyme
- 1 rosemary sprig
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 cups tomatoes, peeled,seeded and chopped or 1 (32 ounce) can chopped tomatoes
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon saffron thread, crushed
- 2 cups beef broth, heated
- 1 cup white wine
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- 2Combine flour, salt and pepper in a baggie and add veal, shaking bag to coat veal.Remove veal from baggie and shake off excess flour.
- 3In a large skillet, melt butter with oil over medium high heat. Add veal in batches and brown on all sides. Transfer veal to large oven proof dish (I used a 3-quart casserole).
- 4Using string or twine(or unwaxed dental floss works great) tie celery pieces around herb and bay leaf to make a bouquet garni. Add to veal.
- 5Add tomatoes, onion and garlic to skillet, and cook over medium low heat for 10 minutes or until onion is tender. Pour over veal.
- 6Dissolve saffron in 1/4 cup of beef broth and then stir into skillet. Add remaining broth and wine to skillet and simmer 5 minutes. Pour over veal.
- 7Bake covered for 1 1/2 hours.
- 8Uncover and bake for 1 hour.
- 9Discard bouquet garni.
- 10Serve immediately.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Veal Stew
Serving Size: 1 (298 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 330.9
- Calories from Fat 165
- Total Fat 18.3 g
- Saturated Fat 6.7 g
- Cholesterol 134.2 mg
- Sodium 643.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 6.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 2.2 g
- Protein 30.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: