Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
Hot veal soup is wonderful served with Popovers or garlic bread on a cold day. Recipe source: Bon Appetit (December, 1982)
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1 lb boneless veal shoulder, cut into 3/4 inch cubes or 1 lb other veal stew meat
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 1⁄2 onion, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 leek, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup chopped pimiento (or red bell pepper, chopped)
- 6 cups veal broth or 6 cups beef broth
- 1 tablespoon parsley, chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 2 eggs
- parsley (to garnish) (optional)
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter or margarine in dutch oven over medium-high heat.
- Add veal to pan and saute until lightly brown on all sides.
- Stir in carrot, onion, celery, leek and pimiento (or red bell pepper) and saute 5 minutes longer.
- Add broth, herbs and seasonings to pan and simmer for 45 minutes or until meat is tender.
- Adjust seasonings if necessary.
- Melt 1/4 cup butter in small saucepan over low heat.
- Whisk in flour and stir for 3 minutes.
- Whisk into soup.
- Continue simmering 5 minutes longer.
- While soup is simmering beat eggs in small bowl.
- Whisk into eggs 1 1/2 cups soup and then return egg mixture to soup and stir well.
- Remove from heat and adjust seasonings if necessary.
- Garnish soup bowls with parsley if desired.
As ellie says, this is a great soup on a cold day. I did leave out the pimento/red pepper because I don't care for it, but I don't think it took anything away from the soup. It was easy to make and the instructions are clear and I felt that the seasonings were great the way they are listed. I think I may have chopped my vegetables a little too small, for while the soup has a really good taste, it doesn't look that good. I will chop the veggies larger next time.
I can't say enough good things about this soup. My only changes were to cook 1/2 c pearl barley separately and add some in; omit the pimiento; substitute oregano for the marjoram. I made the broth from roasted veal bones the day before and skimmed the fat. A truly special, delicate yet hardy soup.