Recipe by Nurbel
This is my father-in-law's recipe. He had written it on a small scrap of paper and I thought I should share it before it is lost. Preparation time is based on chopping onions, green peppers if necessary slice the veal to thickness.
- 4 large onions
- 1 green pepper
- 1 (10 ounce) can mushrooms
- 2 lbs veal cutlets, 1/8 inch thick
- 1 (14 ounce) can condensed beef broth
- 1 cup red wine (a sweet red preferred)
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon dried rosemary
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (vegetable oil is probably fine)
- 1 dash salt
- 1 dash black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix salt and pepper with flour and roll veal cutlets in mixture until lightly covered.
- Heat oil in frying pan and then add veal.
- Cook until browned.
- Remove veal and set aside in casserole dish.
- Add butter to frying pan and fry onions until translucent.
- Add garlic, mushrooms and green peppers and fry for another 3-4 minutes.
- Stir frequently.
- Add contents of frying pan to casserole dish.
- Add the rest of the ingredients (red wine, consommé, rosemary) to contents of the casserole.
- Bake at 350°F for about 45 minutes.
- You may or may not need to spoon the liquids over the veal every so often (to keep moist) depending on the size of your casserole dish.