Recipe by lazyme
A simple dish from Bon Appetit 30-Minute Main Courses. The compote can be made 3 hours ahead.
Top Review by MarraMamba
Terrific veal. Sadly i did not have the bourbon, it would have just melded beautifully. One comment to anyone trying this, the ginger is extremely important. It lifts the sauce and marries the flavors between cranberry and orange into a savory taste that does not overwhelm the veal.
- 1⁄3 cup dried cranberries (1 ounce)
- 3 tablespoons boiling water
- 3 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 tablespoon Bourbon
- 1 teaspoon orange peel, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon gingerroot, minced
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 8 ounces veal scallops, thin
- 1 green onion, minced
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine dried cranberries and boiling water in small bowl.
- Let stand 10 minutes.
- Add orange juice, bourbon, orange peel and ginger, stir to blend.
- (Can be made 3 hours ahead; Cover cranberry mixture and let stand at room temperature).
- Melt butter in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Season veal with salt and pepper.
- Add veal to skillet and saute until brown and just cooked through, about 2 minutes per side.
- Using tongs, transfer veal to plates.
- Add cranberry mixture to skillet and cook until mixture thickens, scraping up any browned bits, about 1 minute.
- Mix in green onion.
- Season compote with salt and pepper.
- Spoon over veal.