Recipe by FlemishMinx
This simple recipe is quick and easy to prepare yet pleasing to the eye and the tastebuds. I've made it with regular paprika, which contrary to popular opinion, does have a very pleasing flavor. If your veal scallops are very thick, you might wish first to pound them down thinner between two sheets of plastic wrap.
Top Review by CountryLady
The sauce is delicious & the real star of this recipe! While I used veal & Rita used chicken, it would also be good with boneless pork chops. I sauteed a large red onion & 2 small white onions and kept them warm in the oven while I cooked the veal. Thanx Minx for another winner!
- 2 large veal scallops (but preferably not too thick)
- 59.14 ml flour
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 44.37 ml olive oil
- 14.79 ml paprika
- 3 onions, sliced in rings
- 118.29 ml sour cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut each scallop in half; makes for a nicer presentation in my opinion and facilitates cooking.
- Heat 2 TBS of the oil in a large (preferably non-stick) frying pan.
- Add the paprika and mix completely into the oil.
- Add the onions, and cook them over moderate heat until they are completely softened.
- While the onions are cooking, salt and pepper the veal scallops.
- Dredge them in the flour making sure to cover all surfaces and sides.
- When the onions have softened, move them to the edge of the frying pan.
- Add the final TBS oil to the pan, and when this is hot, lay your veal scallops in the center of the pan.
- Brown well, about three minutes per side.
- Now move the scallops to the outer edge of the pan and bring the onions back to the center.
- Add the sour cream and mix well with onions until it is completely incorporated; once this is achieved, nestle the scallops in the sauce, turning them over once to allow each side a slight covering of sauce.
- Cover the pan, and cook for about 5 minutes, or until sauce is bubbly and veal is tender.
- Remove veal to serving dishes, give the onions and sauce one more good stir and serve over the top of the veal.