Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
A delicious soup adaptation from Rozanne Gold, a favorite cookbook author. Serve this with some crusty bread to sop up the sauce. If veal suasage is not available, any sausage of your choice will work nicely.
- 1 lb fresh asparagus
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken stock
- 12 ounces veal sausage or 12 ounces bratwursts or 12 ounces sausage, of choice
- Cut the tips off the asparagus and set them aside; remove the inedible part of the asparagus and cut the remaining stalks into thirds.
- Simmer the asparagus in the stock until tender, about 15 minutes; pour both into a blender and puree until very smooth, 2-3 minutes.
- Steam or boil the sausages until cooked or warmed; reheat the asparagus sauce; blanch the reserved tips in boiling water 2-3 minutes and drain.
- Cut the sausages diagonally into 1/2" thick slices; spoon the asparagus sauce into a shallow soup plate, add the sausage and sprinkle with the asparagus tips.
This is really good! I agree with other reviewers as it is even better with fresh parmesean cheese sprinkled on top. I used sweet italian chicken sausage. It's so different and looks fancy, yet it is deceptively easy! I will be making this over and over again, as everyone in my family loved it! Thanks for posting!
Oh so quick and easy, what a great mid week meal, or fab lunch. Few ingredients but loads of flavour. I made as per directed, except I topped mine with some grated parmesan cheese. I agree with chef empire920, it is something very different, that I would never have put together, but it works and tastes great. I served it with sliced french bread, Yum, Yum. Thanks for sharing.
This is a fabulous, easy, and FAST meal. Great for the summer when you don't want to turn on the oven. I wanted to use up some asparagus and had some chicken sausage with smoked mozzarella and garlic. I sauted the sausage in a little water while the asparagus was simmering. The asparagus makes a wonderful sauce. I didn't have any bread so boiled some noodles for my 2-year-old but but she loved it without the noodles! This will go into our regular rotation of favorite meals. Thank you for something different and delicious.