Prep 0 mins
Cook 30 mins
Axoa d'Espelette. A delicious veal stew that is slightly spicy. "Espelette is a slightly piquant red pepper grown in the Basque region of France and Spain." In this recipe, a combination of red bell peppers and a little cayenne makes a good substitute.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 2 2⁄3 lbs veal stew meat, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4 red bell peppers, cored, seeded, cut into matchstick-size strips
- 1 cup low sodium chicken broth
- Heat oil in heavy large skillet over high heat.
- Add onion and saute 4 minutes. Add veal and cayenne pepper. Season with salt. Saute until veal and onion are brown, about 10 minutes.
- Reduce heat. Add red bell peppers. Cover and cook until veal is tender, stirring occasionally and adding broth or stock as needed to prevent sticking, about 20 minutes.