Recipe by Charlotte J
From the book Czech and Slovak Touches. Recipe from Helen Seel, Cedar Rapids, Iowa
- 2 lbs boneless shoulder veal, cut into 1-inch cubes
- ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons caraway seeds
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup mushroom, thinly sliced
Directions See How It's Made
- Sprinkle veal cubes with salt and a few grindings of pepper.
- In a 10" or 12" skillet, over medium heat, melt butter, add onion and saute 6 to 8 minutes or until translucent.
- Stir in the veal cubes and sprinkle with flour and caraway seed.
- Stir to coat the veal evenly with the mixture.
- Cover tightly and cook over a low heat for 10 minutes, shaking the pan every now and then to keep the veal from sticking.
- Stir in the stock, bring to a boil and reduce heat to low.
- Add the mushrooms, cover and simmer for 1 hour, or until veal is tender.
- Add more stock by the tablespoon if the veal seems too dry or the gravy too thick.
- Taste for seasoning and serve.
- Delicious over buttered noodles.