Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
My husband picked up veal on sale and I wasn't sure what to do with it. My hubby suggested making veal parmesan, so I decided I would just make it like chicken parmesan. Funny thing was, I was out of bread crumbs, but had some french bread sitting around going stale. First time I made my own bread crumbs and it made the dish even better. I make it now at least twice a month or more.
- 1 -1 1⁄2 lb veal cutlet
- 1⁄2 loaf French bread (whatever you don't use, use for meatloaf the next day)
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons milk or 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1⁄2 olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese or 1⁄4 cup mozzarella cheese
- 1 (26 ounce) jar spaghetti sauce (I use Ragu Parmesan and Romano)
- 1 (4 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1 bay leaf
- 8 ounces thin spaghetti, cooked
- Toast French Bread in the oven or toaster oven until light brown.
- Process toasted bread in either a blender or food processor until finely crumbled; add parmesan, paprika, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper.
- In separate bowl combine egg and milk; mix well.
- Dredge veal in egg mixture and then in breading.
- Drop into the oil (on medium heat) and fry for 5-6 minutes, or until done to likeness.
- Let drain on paper towels until all the veal is cooked.
- Place in baking dish, sprinkle with cheese, and put in oven on a low setting until the cheese is melted or your ready to eat.
- Combine spaghetti sauce, tomato sauce, bay leaf and Italian seasoning and simmer.
- Cook spaghetti as directed.
For Father's Day I wanted to surprise my husband with Veal Parmesan and came across this recipe and tried it. I even made my own bread crumbs (which i have done several times in the past but never with french bread) it made all the difference in the world I simply buttered the french bread and toasted it like normal and then made crumbs by tossing cut up pieces into my Cusinart Food Processor and WOW ! Hubby ended up loving it and wanting seconds! I served a simple garden salad along with toasted garlic bread ( I sliced loaf of french bread in half and used half for crumbs and other half for toasting for nice hot fresh garlic bread on the side to compliment this dish) I finished it with serving my homemade Cherry Crumb Pie which is his fav. Thank you for the great recipe for Veal Parmesan :)
This recipe is fantastic! The whole family loved it and we will definitely be making it again. Thank you very much for sharing this recipe! Love it!