1/4 Photos of Veal Osso Buco
2 hrs 20 mins
Italian COMFORT FOOD!!!!!!!!!!!! Serve Veal on a bed of polenta or risotto and spoon sauce over.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 slices pancetta, thick, diced (about 1/4 pound) or 1/4 lb sliced bacon
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 1/2-3 lbs cut veal shanks (4 to 6 pieces 2-3 inches thick)
- 1 cup diced carrot
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 1 large diced onion
- 5 chopped garlic cloves
- 3 anchovy fillets, minced to a paste
- 3 -4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1/8 cup capers, rinsed
- 1/2 cup olive, your favorite
- 1 cup dry white wine (optional)
- 1 -2 cup chicken stock or 1 -2 cup veal stock
- flour, for dusting the meat before browning
- salt and pepper
- 1Preheat oven to 325°.
- 2Preheat a dutch cast iron oven over medium heat.
- 3Season the veal shank liberally with salt and pepper.
- 4Add the diced pancetta to the preheated pan, and cook, stirring occasionally.
- 5When the pancetta is crispy and most of the fat has rendered (about 5 minutes of cooking), remove the pancetta to a plate covered with some paper towel.
- 6If necessary, drain off all but two tablespoons of the fat from the pan add olive oil.
- 7Dredge the veal shanks through some flour, shake off any excess and add the meat to the hot fat in the pan.
- 8Turn the heat under the dutch oven to medium high and cook the meat on each side until well browned (about 5 minutes per side).
- 9Remove the shanks to a plate.
- 10Add the mirepoix to the dutch oven.
- 11Cook the mirepoix (Carrots, Onion, & Celery), until the onions are translucent (about five minutes) and toss in the garlic, thyme, capers, olives and anchovies.
- 12Continue cooking until the vegetables just begin to brown (about 10 minutes).
- 13Add the pancetta & shanks back to the pan.
- 14Pour in the wine, and then add enough stock or broth to come about half way up the side of the shanks.
- 15Cover the pan and put it in the oven to cook until the meat is as tender.
- 16The more braising time, the more tender the meat.
- 17It should take at least 2 hours, at which point you'll have a fine dish.
- 18More time is better, but make sure to add more wine if needed.
- 19Optional: Remove meat and cover add the slurry to the liquid stir in completely and cook 5 more minutes stove top till thickened.
- 20Top with Gremolata.
Nutritional Facts for Veal Osso Buco
Serving Size: 1 (356 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 527.2
- Calories from Fat 237
- Total Fat 26.3 g
- Saturated Fat 5.4 g
- Cholesterol 216.9 mg
- Sodium 720.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 12.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.7 g
- Sugars 4.4 g
- Protein 58.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: