Italian COMFORT FOOD!!!!!!!!!!!! Serve Veal on a bed of polenta or risotto and spoon sauce over.
Make and share this Veal Osso Buco recipe from Food.com.
- 2 slices pancetta, thick, diced (about 1/4 pound) or 1⁄4 lb sliced bacon
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 2 1⁄2-3 lbs cut veal shanks (4 to 6 pieces 2-3 inches thick)
- 1 cup diced carrot
- 1⁄2 cup diced celery
- 1 large diced onion
- 5 chopped garlic cloves
- 3 anchovy fillets, minced to a paste
- 3 -4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1⁄8 cup capers, rinsed
- 1⁄2 cup olive, your favorite
- 1 cup dry white wine (optional)
- 1 -2 cup chicken stock or 1 -2 cup veal stock
- flour, for dusting the meat before browning
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons minced flat leaf parsley (Italian)
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon, zest of
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons flour, mixed with water to make a slurry (optional)
- Preheat oven to 325°.
- Preheat a dutch cast iron oven over medium heat.
- Season the veal shank liberally with salt and pepper.
- Add the diced pancetta to the preheated pan, and cook, stirring occasionally.
- When the pancetta is crispy and most of the fat has rendered (about 5 minutes of cooking), remove the pancetta to a plate covered with some paper towel.
- If necessary, drain off all but two tablespoons of the fat from the pan add olive oil.
- Dredge the veal shanks through some flour, shake off any excess and add the meat to the hot fat in the pan.
- Turn the heat under the dutch oven to medium high and cook the meat on each side until well browned (about 5 minutes per side).
- Remove the shanks to a plate.
- Add the mirepoix to the dutch oven.
- Cook the mirepoix (Carrots, Onion, & Celery), until the onions are translucent (about five minutes) and toss in the garlic, thyme, capers, olives and anchovies.
- Continue cooking until the vegetables just begin to brown (about 10 minutes).
- Add the pancetta & shanks back to the pan.
- Pour in the wine, and then add enough stock or broth to come about half way up the side of the shanks.
- Cover the pan and put it in the oven to cook until the meat is as tender.
- The more braising time, the more tender the meat.
- It should take at least 2 hours, at which point you'll have a fine dish.
- More time is better, but make sure to add more wine if needed.
- Optional: Remove meat and cover add the slurry to the liquid stir in completely and cook 5 more minutes stove top till thickened.
- Top with Gremolata.