My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 rack of veal
- 1Trim excess fat from 1/2 veal short loin with bone. Salt and pepper rack of veal and roast at 350 degrees for one hour.
- 2Remove the eye of veal from the rack, saving the rack bones intact.
- 3While the veal is cooking, bring 1/2 quart of milk to boil. Saute 1 pound of onion, diced fine, in 6 ounces clarified butter. When onions are translucent (cooked until very soft) add enough flour to absorb all butter.
- 4Cook over low heat for 10 minutes, taking care not to burn or color flour.
- 5Add hot milk to onion flour mix and whip until thick.
- 6Slice 1/2 pound of Prosciutto ham in small julienne slices 2-inches long.
- 7Dice 1 pound mushrooms very fine. Saute mushrooms in 4 ounce clarified butter. When cooked, drain excess liquid.
- 8Add julienne of Prosciutto to mushrooms and cook briefly.
- 9Add Madeira wine and chopped truffles. Add mushrooms, ham, truffle mix to the onion and milk sauce. Adjust seasoning with salt and white pepper.
- 10If mix is too loose, tighten with crushed Ritz crackers.
- 11Place empty rack (bones) on platter. Put a generous amount of stuffing on bottom of rack.
- 12Slice the eye of veal in 6 to 8 slices.
- 13Place the slices, one at a time on top of stuffing. Between each slice put stuffing and shingle the slices of veal. When complete, add more stuffing on top and sides.
- 14Sprinkle Parmesan cheese and chopped truffles on top, and bake in a 350 degrees oven for 20 minutes, or until stuffing is bubbling.
- 15Serve with Perigodine sauce, which is a standard brown sauce with Madeira wine and truffles.
Browse Our Top Veal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Veal Orloff
Serving Size: 1 (5707 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 5381.1
- Calories from Fat 3695
- Total Fat 410.5 g
- Saturated Fat 257.8 g
- Cholesterol 1297.1 mg
- Sodium 2515.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 275.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.9 g
- Sugars 20.5 g
- Protein 170.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
rack of veal