Recipe by PanNan
This was a popular dish while I was growing up. I still love it today.
Top Review by Lorac
Excellant! Sauteed veal with a delightful paprika sauce flavored with onions, red bell peppers, fresh tomatoes and sweet Hungarian paprika.I made the recipe as directed except for using an additional 1/4 cup of cream to mix with the flour instead of water and served it with egg noodles. This would be a great dinner party dish. Make the sauce ahead of time and reheat it while you cook the veal. Add some chopped parsley to accent the colors of the sauce. I will make this again!
- 4 thin cutlets veal (or pork)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons butter or 4 tablespoons oil
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 red bell peppers, chopped
- 1⁄2 lb peeled chopped fresh tomato
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons sweet Hungarian paprika
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1⁄4 cup cream
- 3 tablespoons flour
Directions See How It's Made
- Make sauce: saute onion in butter until tender.
- Add red peppers, tomatoes and paprika and saute for about 3 minutes.
- Add beef broth and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Mix flour with a little water to make a thin paste.
- Pour into sauce and stir.
- Cook about 3 minutes.
- Add cream and stir (do not boil).
- Meanwhile salt the cutlets and brown on both sides in butter or oil.
- Add a little water and braise, turning once or twice, about 5- 10 minutes until tender.
- Remove from heat.
- When sauce is finished, add the cutlets and heat for a few minutes.
- Don't let it boil.
- Serve with boiled or mashed potatoes and a steamed vegetable.