Recipe by Wendy's Kitchen
A staple recipe if you feel energetic and don't like the bought stuff. This is my basic chicken soup to which I then add some chopped vegetables and noodles. Time does not include refrigeration time.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 leeks, cleaned and sliced
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- 1 1⁄2 kg veal bones or 2 kg chicken pieces
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 2 1⁄2 liters water
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in a large stock pot and sweat vegetables until tender.
- Raise the heat and add veal/chicken. Cook further 5 minutes. Turning meat but not browning.
- Add water and simmer. Skim any scum from surface.
- Cover the pot and simmer gently for 3 hours.
- Salt to taste and cool. Strain off solids.
- Cool the stock and refrigerate to allow solids to set.
- Remove any solid fat from top of stock and use as required.