Recipe by Southern Lady
Courtesy of Giada on Everyday Italian. I haven't tried it but it was reviewed well with notes that the saffron makes the dish. I will use chicken breasts, sliced in half across the thickness and then pounded to form the scaloppini
Top Review by kristapecchia
My family and I really liked this recipe, but I thought the sauce was a bit liquidy so I thickened it with a little flour. I also squeezed lemon on top of the finished dish to add a bit of citrus flavor to the dish. It was great, my husband sopped up the sauce from the pan with some bread cuz he loved it.
- 1 lb veal (or boneless chicken breasts)
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 12 ounces cremini mushrooms, sliced (or button mushrooms)
- 2 large shallots, finely chopped
- 3⁄4 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup broth (beef or chicken depending on meat)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon saffron thread
- 3⁄4 cup heavy cream (or half & half)
- 1⁄2 cup frozen green pea, thawed
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges
Directions See How It's Made
- Sprinkle the meat with salt and pepper.
- Melt 1/2 T Butter and 2 tsp of oil in heavy frying pan over high heat.
- Working in batches, add meat and saute until just cooked through and golden, about 45-60 seconds per side.
- Transfer to a platter and tent with foil to keep warm. Repeat with more butter and oil as necessary.
- Melt 1 T butter and add 1 T oil in same pan over high heat. Add the mishrooms and shallots, sprinkle with salt and pepper and saute until mushrooms are golden brown, about 8 minutes.
- Add wine, broth and saffron and simmer until the liquid is reduced by half, about 5 minutes.
- Add cream and boil until the sauce thickens slightly, stirring often, about 4 minutes.
- Add peas and return the sauce to a simmer.
- Season sauce with salt & pepper to taste.
- Pour sauce over scaloppini and serve with lemon wedges.