Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I'm having a fine old time adapting my recipes for the crock pot. This is a delicious veal stew.
Make and share this Veal or Beef Maroc (Including Crock Pot Version) recipe from Food.com.
- 1 cup medium-dry sherry
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano, crumbled
- 1 tablespoon sweet paprika
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1⁄2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 3 lbs boneless veal shoulder (beef can be used) or 3 lbs veal shanks, cut into 1 1/2 inch cubes (beef can be used)
- flour, for dredging the veal
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 cup water
- 1 carrot, sliced thin
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 celery rib, sliced thin
- buttered noodles, as an accompaniment
- In a blender or food processor, blend together Sherry, oregano, paprika, garlic, brown sugar, lemon juice and zest until garlic is chopped fine.
- Dredge veal in flour, shaking off excess.
- In a heavy pan, heat the oil over moderately-high heat until it is hot but not smoking and in it brown the veal.
- Add Sherry mixture, broth, water, vegetables and season to taste.
- Bring to boil.
- Braise stew, covered, in the middle of a preheated 375F oven for 45 minutes or until veal is tender.
- Serve with noodles.
- For crock pot: Follow above recipe up to browning the veal.
- Transfer the veal to your crock pot and add all remaining ingredients.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours, or until veal is tender.
- Serve with noodles.
Boy, Evelyn, am I glad you got a crockpot! ;-) I'm even gladder (I know that's not a real word) that you adapted this recipe for the crock. The sherry mixture is delicious, and I used the Greek oregano that you sent me, the smell was heavenly! It was so good I made up the mixture again and this time used it on a chicken (two chickens, actually) baking them in the oven, covered, and then uncovering them for the last half hour, the glazing was crispy and delicious! I have shamefully stolen this recipe and now consider it mine, and it's already been given out to several friends. If you like, in return, you can steal some of my recipes, what are friends for!
Delicious stew and quite different. It's sweet. I used beef chuck as I didn't want to spend $14/pound for veal. I used the crockpot and it was finished in 3 hours on high. I will probably reduce the sugar to 1/2 cup next time. Thanks, Evelyn, this was a treat that made my house smell heavenly.