Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a recipe from the cooking book for 2nd year of cooking school in Zagreb. I made this recipe few days ago and it was quite nice.
- 500 g veal (without bones)
- 1 tablespoon flour (optional)
- 30 g butter
- 200 g carrots
- 100 g parsnips
- 200 g kohlrabi (optional)
- 100 g celeriac
- 500 ml brown stock (beef)
- 100 ml wine (white, dry)
- 60 ml espagnole sauce
- 250 g green peas
- 10 g parsley (fresh)
- 10 g dill (fresh)
- Cut the veal into small stripes 3-5 cm, season with salt and fry quick on butter on all sides. Take the veal out.
- Previously cut the vegetables into small slices and sauté it on butter left from veal. Add wine, beef stock and sauce espagnole and continue to sauté 10-15 minutes.
- Now add veal and continue to sauté until veal is soft (30 minutes should be enough).
- Take the veal out again and mash the vegetables into a sauce.
- Put back the veal and add half cooked green peas, parsley leaves and dill. Cook for 10 more minutes. If the sauce is not thick enough, you may add flour, but mashed vegetables are thick enough for a good sauce.
- (For sauce espagnole - variation is: dry fry flour until brownish, add red wine, beef stock and tomato puree and cook until reduces to half. This is home made emergency version but it is good enough).