Recipe by The Flying Chef
This is a very simple meal to put together and it tastes great, all the flavours go really well together. The butter has to be made ahead of time as you have to soften to make and then you want it to harden up again, so just bear this in mind when preparing.
Top Review by Peter J
Wow this was such a great combination of flavors! A real restaurant quality meal so easy to make. The veal medallions at the local supermarket didn't look very appetising so I went with veal fillets from a butcher instead and the only other change I made was to use a local wholegrain mustard that otherwise has a similar taste to French mustard just to suit what I had on hand.
- 12 veal medallions (I allow for 3 per person.)
- 1 3⁄4 tablespoons French mustard
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons thyme leaves
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons olive oil
Wasabi Herb Butter
- 150 g soft butter
- 1 teaspoon wasabi powder (I use powder but I make it up before adding, to make sure all powder is dissolved.) or 1 teaspoon wasabi paste (I use powder but I make it up before adding, to make sure all powder is dissolved.)
- 2 tablespoons fresh chives, chopped
- 1 tablespoon thyme leaves
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine mustard and thyme leaves in a bowl and add medallions, toss to coat medallions.
- Add oil to a pan and heat, add veal and cook until browned on both sides and tender. You can grill if preferred. Top hot medallions with slices of butter, if they are not hot enough to melt butter, you can just pop them under the grill for a minute or so.
- For The Butter.
- Combine all the ingredients in a bowl, mix well. Spoon butter mixture onto foil, roll up firmly in a log shape, refrigerate until firm.
- I served mine with spicy leek and mushrooms and sweet potato curls.
- The potato curls are really easy to make, taste great and add wonderful colour to a dish. All you do is peel strips with a vegetable peeler, and then deep fry in batches, until they curl and are crisp.
- They also make a great snack, you can make these on there own, season after and you have slightly different tasting homemade chips.