Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
from The Plaza in New York City --
- 3 lbs veal shoulder, cubed
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 3 tablespoons brandy
- 2 large tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 sprigs parsley
- 1 teaspoon leaves thyme, crumbled
- 1 lb mushroom
- 4 ounces chopped truffles
- 1⁄4 cup chopped parsley
- Coat veal shoulder with flour mixed with salt and pepper.
- Brown in hot oil in a large skillet. Remove veal to casserole pot or dish.
- Saute onion and garlic in the same skillet until it's golden. Deglaxe the pan with white wine and Brandy.
- Stir in chopped tomatoes and add to casserole with bay leaf, 2 sprigs parsley and thyme.
- Cover casserole.
- Bake in moderate oven at 350 degrees for 45 minutes, or until veal is almost tender.
- Add mushroom caps and bake 10 minutes longer, or until the veal is tender.
- Garnish with chopped truffles and chopped parsley.
Dear Carrie, your recipe was very good. I served it with polenta. I think next time I will substitute part of the cultivated mushrooms with porcini mushrooms and maybe add a bit of bacon. Thanks very much.