Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Hollanders like plain, substantial food and lots of it. From the Michigan Dutch chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947. If there are any leftovers, this makes excellent sandwiches.
- 3 lbs ground veal
- 1⁄4 lb salt pork, ground (substitute bacon if you can't find salt pork)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sage
- 1 dash mace
- 1 cup dried breadcrumbs (rusk crumbs were called for in original recipe)
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- Preheat oven to 350F and lightly grease a loaf pan.
- Mix all ingredients together thoroughly, form into a loaf, place into prepared pan and insert meat thermometer.
- Bake for 2 hours or until thermometer reads 160F to 165°F.
- Serve hot.