Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
From a fundraiser cookbook.
- 2 lbs veal cutlets
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1⁄4 cup onion, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup mushroom, sliced
- 1 tablespoon parsley, minced
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups water or 1 1⁄2 cups stock
- 1⁄4 cup red wine
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Sprinkle cutlets with salt and pepper; fry in the vegetable oil until browned.
- Place the veal in a casserole dish.
- To the skillet, add the onion, mushrooms and parsley; cook a few minutes. Stir in and brown the flour and add the remaining ingredients.
- Cook until smooth and thick, stirring constantly with a whisk.
- Pour this mixture over the cutlets and bake at 325 degrees for an hour.
This was truly a delight! I followed the directions to the letter (except my six veal slices came to just over one pound). This was fine for "we three adults". I also used beef stock, instead of water. The "extra" sauce went well over the Himalayon Basmati rice. Thank you so much, Oolala for sharing your wealth. (and making me look soooo good!)
Made this last night and used beef stock. It was simple and good, but a little over cooked. Next time I'll cook it for only a 1/2 hour and add some garlic.