Recipe by ellie_
Easy veal chops packets, which can be prepared and refrigerated up to 12 hours ahead of time, are easy to prepare early in the day or the night before and pop in the oven after work. Recipe source: Bon Appetit (January 1984)
Top Review by Dr. Jenny
We liked this easy to prepare veal chop recipe. I liked that the flavor of the horseradish really came through and that by cooking in foil packets, clean up was a cinch. My veggies were still somewhat crunchy at the end, though the meat was done. I wished they had been a little softer. Thanks for a no-hassle meal.
- 2 inches fresh horseradish, peeled and squeezed dry (2 1-inch pieces) or 2 tablespoons prepared horseradish
- 1⁄4 cup parsley
- 3 tablespoons butter, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon tarragon vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons tarragon leaves (or 1/8 teaspoon dried tarragon)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup leek, cut into 3 x 1/8- inch julienne strips
- 1 cup parsnip, cut into 3 x 1/8 inch julienne strips
- 1 cup carrot, sliced diagonally
- 1 tablespoon parsley, minced
- 4 veal chops, trimmed of fat (0.75 inch thick)
Directions See How It's Made
- Using a food processor and the steel knife chop horseradish (if using fresh) and add next 6 ingredients (parsley leaves - pepper) blending well. Divide mixture into fourths. Set aside.
- In a large bowl combine vegetables (leek - minced parsley) and divide into fourths. Set aside.
- Tear off four 12 x 11 inch sheets of foil. Sprinkle bottom half of foil with salt and pepper, spread 1/3 of one of the vegetable portions (1/4 of vegetables), top with veal chop, spread with half of one horseradish/butter mixture portion (1/4 of butter mixture), sprinkle with salt, top with remaining vegetable portion, dotting with remaining butter. Fold top half of foil over veal and vegetables, making 1/2 inch fold with top and bottom edges, sealing veal and vegetables together. Repeat with remaining foil, vegetables, butter and veal chops making four individual packets.
- ***Packets can be refrigerated up to 12 hours before baking bring to room temperature before proceeding.***.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Arrange packets on baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes. (Packets can also be cooked on the grill for about 30 minutes). Invert packet to distribute cooking liquids and then turn right side up.