Pierre Franey was so great. Thanks to "60-minute Gourmet," you could work late and still get your guy. Here, he has reproduced one of the classical dishes of French cuisine in 60 minutes. Peas would be a compatible side dish.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- 2Sprinkle the chops with salt and pepper to taste, and set aside.
- 3Chop the mushrooms finely; there should be about 1 3/4 cups.
- 4Melt 2 tablespoons of the butter in a small skillet. Add the onion and cook until wilted. Add the mushrooms and sprinkle with the lemon juice. Cook, stirring, until the mushrooms are fairly dry. Add salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
- 5Melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a saucepan and add the flour. Cook briefly, without browning. Add the milk, stirring rapidly with a whisk. When blended and smooth, stir in the cream. Add salt and pepper to taste. Remove from heat and add cheese. Stir to blend and set aside.
- 6Melt the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter in a large skillet. Add the chops, and cook for six minutes per side, or until browned.
- 7Transfer the chops to a baking dish. Spread equal portions of the mushroom mixture over each chop.
- 8Pour off the fat from the skillet in which the chops were cooked. Add the wine and the water, and deglaze the pan. Set aside.
- 9Add the egg yolk to the cheese sauce and stir to blend. Spoon equal portions of the sauce over each chop.
- 10Place the chops in the oven and bake 15 minutes. Run the dish briefly under the broiler until it is nicely browned. Reheat the pan sauce and serve it spooned around each serving.
- 11Merci, Pierre.
Browse Our Top Veal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Veal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Veal Chops Prince Orloff
Serving Size: 1 (238 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 376.5
- Calories from Fat 294
- Total Fat 32.7 g
- Saturated Fat 20.1 g
- Cholesterol 145.4 mg
- Sodium 177.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 13.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.5 g
- Sugars 1.6 g
- Protein 6.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: