1/2 Photos of Veal Blanquette (Veal in White Sauce)
1 hr 30 mins
This is a fancy, delicious recipe that originates from France. Don't panic! In this recipe meat DOES NOT require to be browned before and that's what gives it it's special delicate taste. Since the meat does not require any browning, only extra good quality veal should be used for this recipe. I strongly suggest milk fed veal for it's delicate texture and taste! Perfect for any dinner party this will definately please everyone's palette. You can easily double this recipe for larger diner parties.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs stewing veal (Veal shoulder in cubes, strongly suggest milk fed veal)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice (fresh)
- 2 carrots (large, peeled and cut in half)
- 2 onions (small, inserted with 3 cloves each)
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2 celery ribs
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon thyme (3 sprigs if fresh)
- 1 teaspoon tarragon (3 sprigs if fresh)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 4 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 egg yolk
- salt and pepper
- 1Place veal in a casserole, cover with cold water, add lemon juice and bring to a boil (since you boil the meat, I strongly suggest only first quality veal such as milk fed veal).
- 2Remove foam on top of water.
- 3When liquid becomes clear, add onion, carrots, garlic, celery, bay leaves and tyme.
- 4Cook at low temperature for 1 ½ hour, or until the meat is tender.
- 5Remove meat from water, KEEP (3 ½ cups) of cooking liquids.
- 6Melt butter in casserole and add flour, cook for 1 minute at low temperature, stirring occasionnaly.
- 7Add reserved liquids and mix well.
- 8Add 3 tablespoons of heavy cream, mix well.
- 9Add salt and pepper to taste. Add tarragon.
- 10Cook sauce for 8 to 10 minutes at low temperature.
- 11Put back meat in sauce. Simmer for 5 to 6 minutes at low temperature.
- 12Remove casserole from heat. Beat egg yolk with 1 tablespoon of cream, add to sauce, mix well.
- 13Serve with your choice of green vegetables, white rice, egg noodles or whipped potatoes.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Veal Blanquette (Veal in White Sauce)
Serving Size: 1 (197 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 299.9
- Calories from Fat 158
- Total Fat 17.6 g
- Saturated Fat 10.0 g
- Cholesterol 163.1 mg
- Sodium 154.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 15.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.2 g
- Sugars 4.2 g
- Protein 20.2 g