1/2 Photos of Veal and Mushroom Stew
5 hrs 20 mins
A fabulous slow cooker recipe from Canadian Living! You may need more salt depending on what kind of stock you use and your taste!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 1/2 lbs stewing veal, cubed
- 1/3 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 leeks, chopped (white and light green parts only!)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 4 cups mushrooms (small button or cremini)
- 2 cups shiitake mushroom caps
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1Trim veal. In a large plastic bag, shake the veal with flour to coat.
- 2In a large shallow Dutch oven, heat oil over med high heat, then brown veal in batches and transfer to slow cooker.
- 3Drain fat from Dutch oven and add 1 tbsp of butter. Fry onions, leeks, garlic and lay leaf over med heat, stirring occasionally, until onion is softened (about 5 minutes).
- 4Add 1/2 tsp each of the salt and pepper, all the thyme and nutmeg. Stir in stock and bring to a boil, scraping up any brown bits from the bottom of the pan.
- 5Pour over veal in slow cooker, then cover and cook on high for 4 to 5 hours until veal is tender.
- 6In a large skillet, heat remaining butter over med high heat, then saute all the mushrooms and remaining salt and pepper until lightly browned (about 10 minutes).
- 7Add to slow cooker along with lemon juice, then cover and cook on high for 15 minutes.Discard bay leaf and stir in cream and parsley, then serve!
Browse Our Top Veal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Veal and Mushroom Stew
Serving Size: 1 (258 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 268.9
- Calories from Fat 130
- Total Fat 14.4 g
- Saturated Fat 6.4 g
- Cholesterol 75.5 mg
- Sodium 397.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 20.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.2 g
- Sugars 5.3 g
- Protein 16.1 g