Recipe by Manami
Was watching this being made on TV and I had to have the recipe and post it, too. It looked absolutely fantastic! I was drooling as I was watching Paula prepare this mouth watering dish! From Paula's Home Cooking, Episode: Winter Warmers. Wouldn't it be wonderful with a little minced garlic and a pinch of crushed red pepper flakes? Yes it was, we made this for lunch today and it was awesome!
- 4 -6 pieces veal scallopini
- 1 egg, beaten
- 20 butter flavored crackers, crushed (Ritz crackers recommended)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup white wine
- 1 large onion, chopped into chunks
- 1 -2 garlic clove, minced (optional)
- 1 pinch crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 bunch fresh spinach, trimmed at stems, soaked, and cleaned thoroughly
- 1⁄4 cup heavy cream (optional) or 1⁄4 cup half-and-half (optional)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 green onions, chopped (garnish) (optional)
HOUSE SEASONING (use 1 tsp)
- 1 cup salt
- 1⁄4 cup black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup garlic powder
Directions See How It's Made
- PREPARE HOUSE SEASONING:.
- Mix ingredients together and keep in an airtight container. Can keep up to 6 months.
- PREPARE VEAL & SPINACH:.
- Between a couple sheets of waxed paper, pound veal into 1/4-inch thick slices.
- Beat egg with House Seasoning and pinch of red pepper flakes, if using.
- Dip veal in egg, then dip into Ritz cracker crumbs.
- Saute the veal in heated oil for about 2 minutes on each side over medium heat.
- Pour wine into pan & deglaze; cooking for another minute or two.
- Remove veal, set aside, keeping warm.
- Add chopped onion, fresh spinach, and minced garlic to pan and saute until spinach is done, 2 to 3 minutes (DON'T OVERCOOK)
- Add cream, if using, and continue to saute for 1 more minute or until hot.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Pour creamed spinach onto platter & place veal on bed of spinach.
- Serve with orzo and a salad of sliced tomatoes.