Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
Banana flower pancakes, a Tamil recipe.
- 1 banana flower (Vazhai Poo)
- 2 cups lentils, cooked (Bengal Gran Dhal)
- 4 red chilies
- 1 pinch asafoetida powder, powder
- 1 teaspoon anise seed (sombu)
- 1 small fresh ginger
- 1 onion
- 2 green chilies
- 3 curry leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt (or as per taste)
- oil (for deep frying)
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk (for soaking the florets)
- Soak bengal gram dhal for two to three hours.
- Chop onion, green chillies and curry leaves finely.
- Remove the big skin (bract) and take out the florets found underneath. In the florets, you will find a string in the middle and a rubbery skin outside. Remove both from each floret. Then chop all the florets into tiny bits and put in water mixed with butter milk. This will avoid discoloration of the florets.
- Wash well and put the chopped florets in a vessel and add little salt and mix well. Keep it aside.
- Wash and drain the water completely from soaked dhal. Mix soaked dhal, red chillies, ginger, sombu, asafotida and salt together and grind to a coarse paste. Remove it.
- Take out a handful of florets and squeeze out the excess water and add it to the dhal paste. Add chopped onions, green chillies, curry leaves and mix well.
- Heat oil in a kadai. Take out a lemon size dough and flatten it. Deep fry in oil till it become golden brown.
- Does not include soaking time of 1 hour.