Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
From Yoga Journal, February 2009.
Make and share this Vata-Calming Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 2 tablespoons ghee
- 1 medium butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 large carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 large onion, loosely diced
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 inch piece fresh ginger, washed and finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon clove
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 3 cups vegetable broth or 3 cups water
- 1 cup coconut milk or 1 cup half-and-half
- salt and pepper
- Melt 1 tablespoon ghee over medium-high heat in a large, deep sauté pan.
- Add squash, carrot, and onion. Sauté for 7-8 minutes or until all ingredients turn golden.
- Reduce heat to low and add garlic. Continue cooking until vegetables are a rich caramel color, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat.
- In a separate soup pot, add 1 tablespoon of ghee, the ginger, cinnamon, cloves, cumin, and turmeric. Sauté until fragrant.
- Add broth and vegetables to the soup pot. Bring to a low boil over medium heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer partially covered, for 10 minutes, until squash is tender.
- Puree soup in a blender until smooth.
- Return soup to pot, adding coconut milk. Salt and pepper to taste.
I have made this soup twice now and we really like it. The spices are subtle and smooth and the coconut milk makes it quite creamy. Thank you for sharing this recipe.