From Yoga Journal, February 2009.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons ghee
- 1 medium butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 large carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 large onion, loosely diced
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 inch piece fresh ginger, washed and finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon clove
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 3 cups vegetable broth or 3 cups water
- 1 cup coconut milk or 1 cup half-and-half
- salt and pepper
- 1Melt 1 tablespoon ghee over medium-high heat in a large, deep sauté pan.
- 2Add squash, carrot, and onion. Sauté for 7-8 minutes or until all ingredients turn golden.
- 3Reduce heat to low and add garlic. Continue cooking until vegetables are a rich caramel color, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat.
- 4In a separate soup pot, add 1 tablespoon of ghee, the ginger, cinnamon, cloves, cumin, and turmeric. Sauté until fragrant.
- 5Add broth and vegetables to the soup pot. Bring to a low boil over medium heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer partially covered, for 10 minutes, until squash is tender.
- 6Puree soup in a blender until smooth.
- 7Return soup to pot, adding coconut milk. Salt and pepper to taste.
Browse Our Top Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Vata-Calming Soup
Serving Size: 1 (423 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 363.9
- Calories from Fat 180
- Total Fat 20.0 g
- Saturated Fat 15.7 g
- Cholesterol 16.3 mg
- Sodium 76.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 48.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.3 g
- Sugars 14.0 g
- Protein 5.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: