Prep 20 mins
Cook 8 hrs
Lots of Atlantans have fond memories of trips downtown that include chili dawgs from The Varsity! Here's the chili recipe.
- 4 lbs lean ground beef
- 1⁄2 onion, chopped fine
- 1 -2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 6 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 cups water
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) package chili seasoning mix
- Brown ground beef in skillet and drain fat.
- Add all ingredients and combine in crockpot, stirring to mix thoroughly.
- Cook on high for 2 hours.
- Stir well, reduce heat to LOW and continue cooking for 6-8 more hours.
I have to second this -- I went to school at Georgia Tech, and I practically lived off the Varsity. All I need now is a recipe for Varsity Whipped Oranges!
Having moved away from Atlanta, I dearly miss the Varisty and all of the greasy wonderful food they serve up. This tasted exactly like the real deal!! Thanks so much for sharing!!!!!
First off, born and raised in Atlanta and am VERY familiar with our Varsity restarant chains. It's un-American NOT to be in Georgia. We were all raised with those delicious chili dawgs and every chance we get to go back and visit family, the Varsity is the first place we stop at to indulge and re-hash memories. Living in DFW area, Varsity is a little too far to indulge in whenever we get the "urge" but....while this chili for hot dogs recipe isn't EXACTLY like our beloved Varsity...........it's as close as we can get while at home............and it is pretty darn good. This will be a keeper for us that are just too far away to enjoy our beloved Varsity at will.