Prep 20 mins
Cook 8 hrs
Lots of Atlantans have fond memories of trips downtown that include chili dawgs from The Varsity! Here's the chili recipe.
- 4 lbs lean ground beef
- 1⁄2 onion, chopped fine
- 1 -2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 6 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 cups water
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) package chili seasoning mix
- Brown ground beef in skillet and drain fat.
- Add all ingredients and combine in crockpot, stirring to mix thoroughly.
- Cook on high for 2 hours.
- Stir well, reduce heat to LOW and continue cooking for 6-8 more hours.
I have to second this -- I went to school at Georgia Tech, and I practically lived off the Varsity. All I need now is a recipe for Varsity Whipped Oranges!
Having moved away from Atlanta, I dearly miss the Varisty and all of the greasy wonderful food they serve up. This tasted exactly like the real deal!! Thanks so much for sharing!!!!!
markandjane. Tjos recipe is for the chilli that you put on hot dogs not for eating like a bowl of chilli. That is why you may find it dry.