Recipe by Pneuma
This is a popular Balkan chicken dish smothered in rich, herby, sherry tomato sauce with mushrooms that we love having at home. (Edited: moved garlic cloves and onions to include under "For the sauce" to coincide with procedure as spotted by KateL. No actual change to recipe has been made.)
Top Review by Rätsel Feinschmecker
Quite the tasty recipe without having to use much salt- the sauce definitely carries the dish well. I did everything in a single wok so I could get the tasty brown bits from the chicken when I added the sauce ingredients- scrape the bottom a bit to get them into the sauce, its worth it. My wife is allergic to mushrooms so I halved the chicken and sauce before adding mushrooms- both portions turned out excellent. The non-mushroom portion reduced even more in the oven since it had less water content (because of the mushrooms), and was quite tasty too. I served it on a bed of egg noodles, rice would definitely mop up every last bit of juice too.
- 1 1⁄2 kg chicken pieces, or cut-ups
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup butter
For the sauce
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup dry sherry
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 pinch dried basil
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- 4 large tomatoes, chopped
- 3 cups mushrooms, sliced
- basil leaves
- thyme leaves
Directions See How It's Made
- preheat oven to 200 degree Celsius.
- heat oil and butter in wok, and in the meantime season chicken with salt, pepper and thyme.
- add the seasoned chicken pieces to the wok and brown at all sides.
- place the cooked chicken in a casserole dish and set aside.
- For the sauce:.
- stir fry garlic and onions approximately 2-3 mins until soft, adding the rest of the sauce ingredients except mushrooms.
- bring to a boil, then reduce heat and add the mushrooms.
- Pour sauce over chicken, cover and bake for 1hr hour, or until cooked thoroughly.
- garnish with basil or thyme and serve.